Monday, January 12, 2009

Support for Local Artists

Anywhere in Latin America, you'll be able to find cheap handmade crafts that are usually the result of a trade that has been passed down for generations and many hours of hard work. I have always done my best to support these local artists and pay a decent prize for their creations. Here in Colombia, I've also picked up the habit of discussing the process of creating a given piece with the person selling it and taking a picture of my purchase with the artist who made it. This has become particularly helpful when buying gifts-- because, that way, my friend or family member receiving what I've bought feels connected with the ¨mastermind¨ behind his/her present and understands what it's all about. I guess I just like stories, and even the things I purchase have stories of their own. Here are a few of the things I've acquired here in Colombia (some of you may recognize your Christmas gifts... or, if you haven't received yours yet, try to guess which one is for you!):

I bought this woven basket at an Indigenous art fair in Cali. The woman selling it was part of a women's cooperative and taught me a great deal about the natural dyes and fibers used to make it. What a tedious process! Remarkably, it is very similar to a basket Erica and I purchased in Botswana, Africa!!!These woven bags are a trademark of the Wayuu people. They require a very intricate process that is very much like crocheting and come in many bright colors. The vendor here showed us how she carefully crafted each one, creating designs of importance in the Wayuu's history, and explained to us some of her personal history-- like how she'd ended up in Santa Marta from La Guajira.
This girl had recently undergone her ¨encierro,¨ which is a traditional rite of passage for young women of the Wayuu culture. Once they begin menstruating, the process begins. Their hair is cut off (or very short), and they are kept alone in small quarters for many days, which allows them to undergo psychological maturing as well. They also are expected to perfect their craft-making skills during this time because (as this girl's grandmother told us) ¨there's not much to do.¨ She had made the belt (wrapped around her forehead) and begun this bag (it apparently took more days than that to make) that I bought while taking part in her ¨encierro.¨While this little guy did not make this bag that I bought for myself (his sister did), he was such a skilled young salesman that I felt that it was very important to photograph him as well. I really hope that he gets an education because I am certain that a promising career in marketing or sales is ahead of him! =)
I added this one as an afterthought-- not only because it shows me with the Ticuna woman who had made this beautiful hand-woven basket that I purchased in the Amazon, but it also shows why I've felt like such a giant in these parts!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Another interesting blog entry! Can we look forward to more entries or is it the end now you are back?
-IA